A friend of mine from school came into town and asked me if a had any recommendations on anything fun to do in Vegas that isn’t the usual gambling, glitz and glam, drunken adventures that tend to happen on the strip. At first I thought to myself, “Nothing, the suburbs are as bland as can be. This city is so boring.” But with this question in mind all day I started to realize that there are plenty of things to do in this little oasis in the desert. For those of you that are looking for something more local to do in Sin City this is for you. Here are 7 things I would recommend to try when visiting good ol’ Las Vegas, Nevada.
- REALLY NICE OUTDOOR MALLS – So if you are looking to shop closer to the strip I would recommend stopping by Town Square. This place is actually still on Las Vegas BLVD. but it is out of the massive conglomeration of hotels. Here you can find a nice atmosphere that feels like an ancient city with its stunning architecture and cobblestone walkways. I shot my Thigh High Lovin’ look book at Town Square so you can get a feel for the atmosphere and even some inspo on what to wear if you visit! An alternative more suburban would be Downtown Summerlin. This is another beautiful mall with a modern and crisp feel to it. Whether you’re planning a shopping spree, a day out with the girls or guys, a movie, a dinner date or a wild night out, Town Square and/or Downtown Summerlin fits the bill.
- KOREAN BBQ – Okay, so this is a place my best friend introduced to me and ever since we go religiously! Hwaro is located on the heart of our mini version of Chinatown. It’s the best because it is open until 2AM and for $20 a person you can have all you can eat (that’s the best option, trust me) Oh! and if you stop by make sure to order one plate of the “the shit” 😉
- SNOWFLAKE SHAVERY – Conveniently, in the same shopping center as Hwaro you can find a cute little ice cream parlor with a modern Taiwanese twist. Here you can have shaved ice cream with yummy toppings. It is a unique way to end any date or just try a cool new treat, plus who doesn’t love ice cream?
- HARDKORE PARKOUR (HKPK) – This parkour gym is a little ways away from the strip, but it is a sick place to stop by with friends and jump around, climb, or pretty much any other physical activity you could imagine. I found this place when my (now acrobat) boyfriend would go to train his tumbling and parkour. At one point I was even going when I was learning how to use Lyra! You can find all kinds of people here from little kids to professional cirque acrobats training, chilling, or just jumping around having fun. Check out @m_webster to see some cool videos of what goes down at HKPK!
- LAKE MEAD – If you happen to be in Las Vegas in the summer time then you know its probably like 105 degrees out. Something super fun to do during this time if to go out the lake with friends and spend some time in the burning sun and refreshing water. If you have enough people, go rent a boat! I promise the experience will be nothing but fun, and locals are always willing to point you in the right direction or beach to party it up.
- SEVEN MAGIC MOUNTAINS – Essentially, these are 7 giants rainbow boulder pillars in the middle of the desert. “Internationally renowned Swiss artist Ugo Rondinone’s Seven Magic Mountains is a large-scale site-specific public art installation located near Jean Dry Lake and Interstate 15, approximately ten miles south of Las Vegas, Nevada.” This is always a cool place to take pictures and simply go see something new and exciting.
- @UNLOKT – On this instagram account you can find everything in regard to local food! This account is actually how I find a lot of the unique places I visit when I come into town. Give it glance I promise your mouth will water just a little. 😉
Next time you visit Las Vegas give one of these things a go, I wouldn’t recommend anything but the best for you guys! I hope you get to get a taste for my home town in one way or another. As always leave me questions, compliments, comments or concerns!